Corporate Counsel In The Charlotte, NC Area
Separation Agreements In The Charlotte, NC Area
During the year-long separation period before North Carolina couples can file for an official divorce, we advise that you discuss the terms of your separation with your spouse and consider entering into a legal separation agreement. Separation agreements can determine the distribution of the couple’s assets as well as their debts. They may also outline issues of child custody and child support payments as well as post-separation support and alimony. Marcellino & Tyson is an award-winning law firm in Charlotte, NC offering separation legal advice to clients in the local area. Contact us to speak with an experienced separation lawyer and get the answers you need to move forward and protect what’s yours. Find a separation lawyer near me: call (704) 919-1519 or fill out our online contact form.
To legally separate from your spouse in North Carolina, you don’t typically need to file any kind of paperwork. When spouses are living separately with no intention of continuing marital relations, they are considered separated. You may create a separation agreement while you are still living together. After a full year of separation, both parties are then eligible to file for an official divorce.
Separation agreements often provide faster, easier solutions to issues in a marriage separation. This is an emotional and stressful time for all involved parties and it can be helpful to resolve issues with minimal or no litigation when possible. Figure out your separation and get the terms on paper with the help of a dedicated separation lawyer. That way you can minimize the troubles that come with separation and move on with your life as soon as possible. Our ultimate goal is to help you and your spouse come to a separation agreement without the need for courtroom litigation. However, we can represent your interests in court during your divorce proceedings if litigation is necessary.
Separation Lawyer Near Me
During a legal separation, there are many concerns that may arise. These disputes include:
- Post-separation support payments: If one spouse is financially dependant on the other, they may be entitled to payments during the separation period. Separation agreements outline these payments when couples can agree on the terms. If an agreement is not an option, our attorneys can go to court on your behalf. A separation lawyer from Marcellino & Tyson can represent you effectively whether you are demanding support or denying it.
- Child support payments for minor children: Separation agreements can include the amount of child support due to a dependent parent. We can assist you in determining an appropriate amount and avoiding disputes.
- Right to continue living in the family home: Who, if anyone, will continue living in the family home (and/or making mortgage payments) during the separation period? This is a complex issue that arises at the beginning of a separation. Contact one of our experienced attorneys to get separation legal advice in regards to living arrangements.
- The handling of marital debts: If the couple acquired debt, a separation agreement should include each spouse’s responsibility to pay some or all of it.
Separation Legal Advice
Every situation is absolutely unique and we’d have to meet with you and hear your story to provide specific separation legal advice. However, there are some things that we recommend to anyone going through a separation. Remember these tips:
- Think twice about moving out of your family home in a hurry
- Determine financial responsibilities before you separate
- Contact Marcellino & Tyson as soon as possible to learn of your options and rights